Monday, September 10, 2007

Slow Children


Slow Children
Originally uploaded by piecesofstring

...I may be biased, but my children are anything but slow. Food for thought from my son, who will turn 5 this week:

Jackson: Why are there slow children here?
Me: Well...there aren't really slow children here, the sign is just telling people to drive slowly because there are a lot of children around.
Jackson: But that's not what the sign says.
Me: I know, but that's what it means.
Jackson: They should really make the sign say what it means.

And in another weekend exchange:

Jackson: That sure is a big house!
Me: I think it's a church.
Jackson: Oh...what's a church? (aside - he's been to church, but we haven't attended regularly since he learned to throw things...like the hymnals and bibles in the back of the pew in front of us)
Me: It's a place where people think about their lives and what it means to be a nice person and what it means to help other people.
Jackson: Shouldn't people do that at other places, too?

I know I'll always carry that conversation with me, and I hope my children will, too.



There was knitting, too:

I know, I know, and I did make significant progress on the second sleeve for the cable/lace pullover. But I couldn't resist this brand new yarn at the LYS, Shi Bui Sock. They're going to be the cutest fingerless mittens, ever, and I actually own no mittens with fingers or otherwise. Besides...they'll make a great model at the store. They'll be all done in a day or so and then I PROMISE I'll finish the pullover.

No comments: